The purpose of the Steering Committee is to provide a forum for involvement and structure towards community based governance in the revival of the garden space, known as The Carrie McCracken TRUCE Community Garden.
Membership on the committee will be voluntary and available on a non-discriminatory basis.
This shall include children, with expressed parental concurrence; organizations, whose governing bodies appoint a representative; and a designated representative of or any elected official whose jurisdiction covers the garden site. Each member and the garden are registered with Green Thumb of the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation.
The Committee will be a transitional organization whose objectives shall include:
- Recruitment of active volunteer gardeners and sponsors to realize the many benefits of a viable community green space in this garden’s neighborhood.
- Educating garden members to preserve extant valued plants while providing for the introduction of new crops and flowers.
- Negotiating cooperative strategies to enable and encourage handicapped persons, senior citizens, artists and others to use and enjoy the garden.
- Ensuring that the garden is open for public enjoyment and participation: To maintain the garden as a clean and safe urban green space.
- Working to improve the arability of garden soils, to improve the garden’s productivity and sustainability.
As such; the pre-eminent mission of the committee is to RENEW this particular garden.
This Committee is charged with creating a non-profit governance for the garden for 2010. The Committee will strive to ensure that those who volunteer to tend the garden shall be most empowered in any future governing body. The goal is to make this garden a resource for the local community and an inclusive and inviting space.
Agree? Join in garden governance by signing this statement.