Just a (Mad) Re-Cap of the March meeting just to make sure we’re all roughly on the same page!
Okay, so in attendance Marta, Michelle, Gamillah, Mamie and Mike, Marilyn,Eren and Jon. Also, briefly Angelo, Max (Sage and Mom), Roy.
March clean up plans for April opening announced
April 22nd Sunday “Earth Day” which will have “Seeds to Soil “ kick off. Michelle Jackson will let us know what is up. We’ll need to promote, have volunteers and HAVE FUN!
***Since we ALL agreed that we need an organized plot layout not haphazard squeezing people into odd locations that don’t make sense and make a MESS the idea of giving a certain number of BARRELS or large pots in certain locations (NOT IN PATHWAYS) to some people that are on the wait list These will be very distinctly marked and treated with the same respect as a plot.
– The “Community Herb Plot,” must stay.YEAH! Let’s get a hold of Jen (kudos to her and her planting guidance to her last season-let’s do it the same way. If ain’t broke don’t fix it!). See photo below and the sign age already done ready for planting.
– The chalkboard stays… Michelle says that she has chalkboard paint and suggested that we might paint that one wood wall on the tool shed with it and expand a writing space in chalk (?).
– Re-instate a plastic tub with sealed plastic sleeved booklets general garden information to be left for all key garden members to refer to. This tub will be kept properly in the tool shed easily accessible and out of the elements.
– The barrels for those on wait lists, honorary memberships etc… already mentioned.
- The above mentioned designation of plots to people who want to be new members. We only have so much space and so many plots and the capacity to make a few new plots which will not deter from not just the functionality of the garden but the aesthetics of the garden. We only have so much space in that garden. Full is full! It is a wonderful to be popular and loved-lol.
– Pathways. There must be pathways/walkways for both safety and for functionality. People need to navigate from the front and the back of the garden especially to the mulch box. Those paths must be delineated and once made respected. People tend to take short cuts (I for one don’t relish finding footprints in my back plot area because my path next to my plot was blocked for some reason and my greenery was incidental to getting back to the front or to the mulch pile instead of walking all the way around…)and let’s make it easier for them. Once paths are made known they can be lined, paved, chipped etc. We can all decide to make a uniform pebble, wood chip, brick, rock or broken whatever more uniform filler- in the future. Do not cover or take stones or paving from other people’s plots- get your own. Be creative.
*Where exactly is the plot for the Pre-school across the street going to be? We need to build borders around it, mark it and make it official! I was there and met them they are all cute- let’s not be vague or unclear about the plot/space.
– People putting things away. The tool shed is a presence let’s use it. It shall be finished.
– Watering individual watering is over course up to the plot owner. But the regular watering, that will again be on a schedule. Last year was good. We must make sur that the designated water tubs stay that (water tubs) and are to be filled and always covered…
- MULCH! How are we to handle the insane pile of sticks and leaves not in the wooden bins and dispose of all those plastic tubs behind the bin (stuff fro those groceries still remain behind the bin against the wall. It needs to be maintained those of us in the back deal with the smell, and if there is to be an official paying member’s plot right up against the wall next to it, it should be tended to, and there needs to be delineation of plot boundaries and paths….
- I will put up my infamous signs yet again… Manners, respect, etc… lol.
– Garbage disposal and pick-up. We need to know the hours and days what for what. Garbage cans should be marked again (will put up the signs ) to try keep things organized. Regular trash, recyclable, branches/plants etc..
– We need to get a list of who is returning as regular members. And a solid confirmation of their return. We must hear from some who have not been around and make an executive decision as to whether to give them their plot hold when there are others who will be more active gardeners (maybe give those older members an honorary membership no keys but invitations to events and maybe a barrel?).
– We are working on a finalized list of the new member requests. Decide how many we will take, how many can be offered pots/barrels and how many stay wait listed but with invitations to participating members of the community to look good for consideration ie. earn brownie points! lol.
– This group’s consensus, no more tree chopping. Please refrain from chopping off the tops of those pretty set of 4-5 (used to be ) tall bushes against the North wall that had those pretty blue flowers, they were gorgeous – let them be. They are lovely against the wall and don’t block sunlight.
The chopping of the Fig Tree. Leave the top alone, if it grows tall great ladders can be used ( we have two in the garden) to pick the fruit. Hacking it off in the middle is UNACCEPTABLE- What in the world was that about? It is where it is. If there are other ideas they must be thought through and voted on.
– Since TRUCE is still currently in the building and their move date is unclear we need to find out what the status is. Yvette is no longer part of the organization.
– When we speak to people who haven’t been around and still quote “want a plot,” that there is a distinction between having a plot and planting and having a plot, planting maintaining the plot and participating in the garden.
– Problem gardeners. Not repeating the same mistakes. Stopping major wrong behavior immediately. No probation- just Parole! lol.We’re all going to have small disagreements but huge violations of decorum and the making of other members feel completely uninspired to come to the garden or create malaise are not what we want.
No overhanging planting structures unless it is explained approved and maybe vertical…?
– Concern for certain plants or flowering plants being brought into the garden that are harmful or parasitic. Last years strange (Morning Glory?) viny over growth that choke several plots. Should we send out a newsletter alert and /or keep some flyers at the front of the garden during planting season?
WE HAVE A GREAT GARDEN WITH ALL IT’S QUIRKS-LET’S KEEP IT THAT WAY.
AS IT STANDS:
Michelle has the box – Volunteer needed to work on becoming a 501C!
Dues due next month.
Soil drop-off, bags?
Trips to the Bronx for plants seedlings? We should coordinate with anyone with cars? all the carts we have etc…
See you all in the Garden!